Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Oil finish, and May 2nd. Plein-air














I worked this afternoon, on finishing my Oil painting.  I was not too sure how to do it, and I was alone. That's not so good sometimes!  But I tried.  I have been reading all I can find about this stuff, so I thought I could at least finish it!  But as I worked, I found many more questions than I had answers.   Using the same palette of colors, this is where I stopped.  Not exactly what I had in mind----but I am sure it will come with more work, thinking, and trying.

Earlier this morning, I was at the Dutch Valley ranch, where we live.  We spend so much time at the Home ranch, on Foothill Road in the Carson Valley, that I do miss being here.   The summer greens will be so hard to handle that I am trying to get a jump on that by starting with the spring green shades----it has been so cold here it really seems like spring is behind!  It was sunny today,  so out I went.   This spot is only maybe 100ft. from my kitchen door.     So this is where I started from.   I was here about 2 hours, and I used a moonstone colored Canson Paper that was mounted on matboard.  I drew in my composition with the # 244 Nupastel and washed it with alcohol.  It dries very quickly, and the paper stays flat as it is mounted to the mat board.    Then I went in with the local colors, and tried to get a fresh look.



How do you think it worked out?    There, as usual,  is so much more to consider than meets the eye when you begin!!    I was surprised that the willows still haven't gotten their greens yet, but as I said, its been cold here, and very windy.  Today was nice and sunny, yet I froze toward the ends of my efforts!!!!    Still--Plein Air is the most fun of all.
This one is big, much more than normal.   Its 10  x 14-----I will be going back to the smaller sizes, but I like to go big once in a while.  I will do this again in this location----I am not sure the compostion is as good as it could be.  Remember, Its all Work!!!  but fun.

4 comments:

  1. Your oil painting is really neat. Makes me want to go out and buy some. I used to paint in oil 30 some years ago. Your pastel is fresh and you really get the textures of the grasses and willows. I still want to join you someday for plein air-ing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes indeed, please plan to join me!!!! Thanks for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how your oil turned out! It has an Ann Templeton, abstract look to it. Your plein air is nice too. I havent got out to plein air in quite sometime... weather has been brutal for this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boy I agree on the weather!! Look at Tennessee! Makes you wonder what Paula Ford is going thru!! Thanks Ron , for your comment--Still not sure about oils!

    ReplyDelete